Post title: Communications Specialist
Organizational unit: UNESCO Institute for Information Technologies in Education
Duty station: Moscow, Russia
Closing date: 28 August 2019
Duration: One-year contract
Purpose of the post
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Director of UNESCO IITE and working closely with the IITE Programme staff, the Communications Specialist develops and implements communication strategies and relevant activities in order to support the work of UNESCO IITE.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out communications needs assessment for UNESCO IITE programmes and projects;
- Based on the need’s assessment findings, develop and implement communications strategy in support of the UNESCO IITE goals and work and ensure its visibility;
- Develop advocacy and visibility plan;
- Generate, update, edit and post content (including images) for the UNESCO IITE website and social media community (Facebook) in Russian and English languages, including news, highlights (feature/success stories), interviews, announcements about IITE activities, news and trends in ICT in education relevant to IITE mandate (original content);
- Liaise with UNESCO HQs communication focal points to ensure publications about UNESCO IITE at the UNESCO global website and social media communities;
- Monitor the IITE website and social media community metrics and take action to improve their usability, maximize traffic and users’ presence;
- Develop working relationships with relevant media partners, editors and journalists and work with them to promote UNESCO IITE activities and UNESCO global goals (themes) and key events in external media;
- Organize events and campaigns with media and partners to support the work of the UNESCO IITE and contribute to its visibility;
- Develop/update and ensure the production (including design and printing) and dissemination of UNESCO IITE electronic and printed communication products (leaflets, brochures, presentations, other) through existing and newly developed networks;
- Assist programme staff in the development of official publications and presentations to ensure their consistency with UNESCO standard requirements for publications;
- Respond to inquiries from public and stakeholders including IITE’s website users and Facebook community followers.
- Higher education in the field of media/communications, journalism, public relations or other related social sciences;
- At least 2-3 years of working experience in the development and implementation of communication strategies, production of news and feature stories and other content for websites and social media;
- Experience with social media and website management (WordPress) including text optimization;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including news-writing, editing both in Russian and in English;
- Proficiency in the usage of Microsoft Office packages, text, presentation, graphic and image design and video editing software;
- Established relations with Russian media would be an asset.
Proven competency to:
- Work in a team in a multicultural environment;
- Communicate effectively and persuasively, orally and in writing;
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to manage priorities in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Knowledge of the functioning of international organizations and /or the UN system would be an asset.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English and Russian is required;
- Good working knowledge of French would be an asset.
Conditions of employment
- Labor legislation and employment regulations of the Russian Federation are applied to this post. Monthly salary of 70,000 RUB subject to income tax. Additional premium scheme available based on performance.
- UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
How to apply
Please submit to the UNESCO IITE by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a full CV, including three professional references, using the UNESCO CV Form available at https://iite.unesco.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/CV-UNESCO.doc
- a letter of motivation
All above documents must be submitted in English before closing date. Applications received after closing date will not be considered
Kindly use as email subject header – “Communications Specialist”.
Only successful candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for further review and evaluation.
A written examination may be used in the evaluation of candidates.